Wednesday, February 2, 2011

An update on LIFE

Wow! I can't believe I went so long without posting anything here. Other than getting a short way into AAC and having life kind of step in and change my plans, there really hasn't been a whole lot happening for me with the course. Well there was something to do with the school, but I'm not allowed to say. LOL Nothing bad, it would just be spoilers. I can say though, the Career Step school continues to grow and change and continues to really care about the students and the quality of their education. We're fortunate that we've become involved with this school at this time. It's exciting.

The life that's been getting in the way is partly me and partly my mom. She's been to a cardiologist since my last post. He sent her to a surgeon. They did some procedures and evaluated her heart. She's scheduled for open heart surgery on the 17th of February, with pre-op procedures on the 16th. If all goes well, she'll have a new aortic valve and be in the hospital for 5 days. After that, it's home and learning how to handle the limitations that come with having such an invasive procedure. The predicted recovery time? A year! Not for the heart. The year is how long it takes for the sternum to heal and become strong enough to handle the movements and activities the rest of us take for granted.

Why is it that we never really think about our bodies until they fail to do what we need them to?

I talked in a previous post about my weight loss program. It's the 6 Week Body Makeover. I started on the 8th of January. So that's... let's see... 3 weeks and a couple days. As of this moment I am down....

wait for it....

wait for it....

20 pounds! Not only am I 20 pounds lighter I'm over 24 inches smaller. There's 13 measurements that I take weekly, plus the weight. The measurements include neck, shoulders, chest, waist, hips, each arm biceps and forearms, and each leg thighs and calves.

I'm eating all sorts of great food every day. Some of it doesn't taste good. Some of it's awesome! All of it is helping me toward my goal.

I told Mom the other that all the exercise and weight loss is so that I can be stronger for me, but also for her. She's going to need more help, more things done for her that she is used to doing for herself. I am the person who is here. I NEED to be able to do it. She's not a small lady, even if she does have short legs that barely reach the floor in most chairs. Stronger me equals fewer injuries, more energy, and the capability to get whatever needs to be done DONE!

I've been swimming 5-6 days a week. I've done a couple days of low-impact aerobics, but I don't enjoy my family as an audience. At least at the pool, I'm underwater and no one can see my rolls bounce. LOL I did order the Hip Hop Abs videos though. I don't feel like my stomach and core muscles are getting what they need from the pool and the toning that I've been doing. I literally can't lay down on the floor and do crunches. My back rebels every time I try. Then, for 3 or 4 days, I'm hurting so much as to be almost useless.

I need to pick up a pair of good walking shoes so that I can start spending some time walking too.

Anyway, I will be back to update things again. Thanks for hanging in here with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment