Tuesday, December 7, 2010

East Indian Accents - Will I ever get it?

That East Indian accent is going to kill me. I can understand only 1 of every 3 words, and that's only the English ones. Throw in medical terminology and I'm toast. I did 1/3 of a report today by a doctor I am dubbing the "Talking Gerbil." I've tried watching shows with East Indian accents, but they are actually much slower and careful with pronunciation so they don't help very much. I've tried using a site that exposes you to various accents, which unfortunately also uses speakers who speak slowly and carefully. I can't even hold a conversation on the phone with someone with the accent because I can't understand them. I've tried. Really! I have!

I can handle Spanish, American regional dialects, British, German, Chinese, Australian, and New Zealand. At least most of the time. They get a little fun going into the Physical Examination and laboratory values. Of course the medications can get interesting, as well. But, most of the time I can handle them.

Is it some sort of mental block? Something that when they start speaking my brain translates into a garbled mass of unending sound? It's like listening to some of the music my daughter and son listen to that I call "Scream Rock." Between the guitar that goes so fast and high pitched and the vocalist trying to imitate the sound of tomcats battling for a female in heat, I can't make a positive identification of a single word! When my daughter listens to this music, she's required to wear headphones. She laughs and sometimes puts on "Mom approved" music for when she wants to listen to her music without the headphones.

Where's the Mom Approved East Indian setting? Practice, practice, and more practice? Hello! I hear this accent and my stress level goes sky high, just like my daughter's Scream Rock!

If doctors with this accent end up on whatever test I have to take for employment or account I become responsible for, I fear for my sanity and livelihood. God, please be kind. I need to make a living, not end up in the Psych Ward at the hospital!

I keep telling myself this will get better. Maybe it's the headache I've had for the last couple of days. I don't know. I just hope this is the only report from the "Talking Gerbil" that I get in the course. Either that or a long, long, looooooong way down the road!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, You will get the accent down don't you worry. It is a skill you are developing on a daily basis.. It will come really....It is the soft talkers that are the devil...or the word swallowers....Keep at it...Read your above post first. Way to gooooo about asking about working for him...Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete