Sunday, December 19, 2010

Motivation

What is Motivation?

Miller (1962) described motivation as


“the study of all those pushes and prods – biological, social and psychological – that defeat our laziness and move us, either eagerly or reluctantly, to action.”




The Encarta World English Dictionary defines motivation as “giving of reason to act: the act of giving somebody a reason or incentive to do something.”

The American Heritage Dictionary provides “motive: An emotion, desire, need, or similar impulse that causes one to act in a particular way.”

The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus says the synonym for motivation is “Stimulus: Something that rouses the mind or spirits or incites to activity.” Other synonyms are catalyst, goad, impetus, impulse, incentive, incitation, instigation, propellant, provocative, push, spur, stimulant.

How do we remind ourselves of the purpose or stimulus behind getting involved in Medical Transcription training? It’s important that we do remind ourselves sometimes in order to stay motivated. When you jumped into training with both feet, what was your reason? What was your emotion? Desire? Need? What finally pushed you into contacting the school and signing up? Was it a way to provide for your family while still taking care of them? Being present for all the various events and milestones? Was it health issues that limit how you can work?

Answer those questions, find a picture of what they mean to you, a poster, something and place it close to where you are working at your computer. Leave it there, but don't forget to look at it. It's important.

I had a NEED. I had catalogued my own abilities and knew that working from home via computer was a reasonable alternative to working outside the home. I NEED to work. Not just for money, though that’s nice. I NEED to work for my own emotional and psychological health. Without a reason to get out of bed, some days it’s almost impossible. I NEED to show my kids that working and providing for your family is important, that getting a little creative is sometimes necessary. I NEED to show my kids that when life throws rocks at your head, you don’t have to give up. I NEED to show my mom that she is important enough to change my lifestyle.

When I’m feeling less-than-motivated, I remind myself of my purpose, my reason(s) for doing this training. Some days it’s easier than others, and there are always excuses for not working on reports, usually a combination of environmental factors that I MUST figure out how to work around. But, I’ve got it stuck in my head that I can be really good at this. That pride in my skills and my intelligence really is quite a motivator. We’ll see whether I’m full of hot air when the final scores are in, but I like feeling empowered.

I do feel empowered. Living so many years feeling like I had no control over what happens to me, around me, or effecting me; this course gives me the opportunity to really take the bull by the horns. I’m in competition with myself. I may be doing this ultimately to provide for my family, but I’ve learned something along the way. I do have the ability to control something. My own mind. It’s a little shaky at times, but I always come back around to the belief that I made a good decision for me. I’m the one who will truly benefit from continuing on… and beating this course into submission. It took a long time to come to the conclusion that it’s okay for me to fight for this. The fight may be with myself, but it’s on!



1 comment:

  1. I'm very appreciative of what you're doing. I know you're doing this thing as much for us as you are for you.

    ReplyDelete