Sunday, May 16, 2010

Learning to Learn

 
5-14-2010 part 2

In my attempts to find information to paste into my typing practice I remembered a site that was recommended by a Tech program that I subscribe to. I went to the site, OpenCourseWareConsortium, http://www.ocwconsortium.org/use/use-dynamic.html which consolidates multiple universities and learning centers into one place.

I searched the topics on offer and found classes (course studies) on everything from art to math and everything in-between. I’ve only started going through the programs available, but I’m sure that I’m going to be coming back over and over. By the way, it’s FREE!

My first jump into this free learning site was a course called “Learning to Learn”. It’s basic description is how different people learn in different ways, and to identify your learning strengths. One of the first things in identifying your strengths is to find your motivation for choosing your course of study.

I was asked to think about my motivation. Hmm. Life seems to be my motivation. Of course it’s more complex than that, but it’s also as simple as that. Between financial needs, injuries, and the need to be at home for my mother’s health needs it just became a necessity for me to find something that I could do at home. Of course I wanted to engage my mind and learn new things at the same time. But what could I do?

I’ve thought about doing transcription for a long time. I enjoy typing and I don’t have any ear problems. I’m okay with being on the computer and looking for information on whatever happens to interest me. However, being in an office setting is like getting a root canal. I hate it, hate it, hate it! The lights, the people, the politics, having to dress “professionally”, driving to and from work, having to be there during set hours of the day, having a boss or manager hanging over your shoulder, etc.

With the situation at home and health being a deciding factor (mine and my mother’s), I spoke to the Vocational Rehabilitation office downtown. Luckily for me, I could demonstrate that I had thought the whole situation through and I knew what my limitations and strengths were. I was given the green light to start on the program. Yay!

At this point, I’m thinking, “All right. A week or two and the paperwork will be done and I can start the actual course.” A month later I’m still waiting. I’ve had various “homework” assignments from the Vocational Rehabilitation office regarding the needs of the course, what the expectations for a medical transcriptionist are, what the future of the career is. It’s been research this and price that. What do you have to have and what can you do without?

I know that with every step into a store and every click of the mouse on a site I’m closer to actually starting the program. But the waiting is hard. I’m not yet enrolled and feel like I’ve been in the course for a month without learning the actual transcription. I’m not saying that what I’ve been doing isn’t necessary or even that I won’t benefit from it, because it is and I am benefiting. I just wish that I could get into the actual coursework. I need the money and I can’t make any until I graduate. Can’t graduate if I don’t start, now can I?

So I guess my motivation isn’t very complex. I need to bring an income or a supplemental income into my home in order to eat and I need to be able to do that from home. Not very complex at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment