Thursday, May 13, 2010

Medical Transcription Student


May 13, 2010

When I was a very young child I learned that I loved to read. I devoured book after book from the time I first learned to read. Luckily, I lived within a block of this wonderful and magical place called a “Library.” Oh, what an incredible place it was for me. Stories about Dick and Jane and a big red dog. Books about a very naughty monkey and a man with an enormous hat. Later there were monsters and dragons and space adventures. It became a game for me to learn more and more words and creating a vocabulary that would expand it seemed forever.

School was an incredible adventure of words and numbers and more books and stories. I learned everything that was presented to me very quickly and became something of a “freak”. It was hurtful that I couldn’t relate very well with other kids my age. The kids my age that I did make friends with were also different in some way. I adored them all and loved spending as much time as I could with them.

I also made many friends with older kids and with adults who taught me even more about this amazing world I live in. They taught me about cooking, needlepoint, music and dancing. They taught me about the plants, rocks, wind, animals.


Art fascinated me and I was always dreaming that I could draw beautiful pieces that everyone would want to have hanging in their homes. That didn’t work out so well. I had no talent for creating, but appreciation of all forms of art definitely was instilled in me in those early years.

Music became very important to me. Not necessarily listening to the radio or records, but singing. I sang all the time. I sang any time I was alone, because I was so worried that I would have something else that would make me different. Even with that worry, I loved to make my voice make all these different shapes and sounds that were to me enormously beautiful. I learned later to appreciate this in myself and not care what anyone else thought of it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that people actually were enjoying me singing my way through my day! I could do something other people couldn’t do for themselves.

I made my way through my early years with a lot of heartbreak in my life; I was alone much of the time but the friends that I did have were the best. I continued to devour books and sing and try new things as I discovered them. High school was very difficult socially but I still continued to learn and grow and dream.

I had so many interests that the world just seemed too big to choose one thing to specialize in and suddenly my choices seemed limited by the necessities of needing to provide for myself and a husband and a baby. Life seemed to change slowly during that time but now, remembering, it seems that it went very quickly.


Suddenly it seemed that there was a new chapter for my life. A divorce, a boyfriend, a new baby, and then single parenthood. Whoo! That was so fast! More attempts at providing for myself and my family brought more different jobs than any person should ever have, but never anything I considered a career. It was so difficult to function in a world where it was just about trying to make the next meal and getting the kids ready for school.

Singing was no longer something I had time for. Reading was a way to escape from things too difficult. It’s amazingly depressing to lose the joy of life during the living of it. I eventually went from customer service positions to a position with the fish and game department of my state.


I was with fish and game for three years when the economy tanked. I was laid off and ended up, again, having to find a way to make a living. I went from there to cleaning houses and that was going well, but only for a few months before I was injured and could no longer do the work.

At the time that I was laid off from the state job, I received a phone call from my mother. She was ill and could no longer function on her own. She moved in with me and my kids. I love having my family around me, but providing for them is the biggest priority I have.
This brings me to the present and possibly my future. A better future in the making.

In April of 2010 I made a decision. I’m hoping that the decision I made will take me into a future career. I I will be a Medical Transcriptionist/Editor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment