Sunday, May 16, 2010

Waiting for the Word

May 16, 2010


I’m still in the holding pattern. I have an appointment on the 20th with Vocational Rehabilitation. I’m not sure at this point what is going to go into that meeting or what will be required of me as my homework. I do know that I will be getting a new computer, but I don’t know what else I’ll be getting.



They decided on a new computer because it will be a necessary component of my actual work after the studying. If it was just for to school part, they would have purchased a used computer for me.


The decision to get a computer was made because I am currently the sole proprietor of my daughter’s computer. She’s 17 and wants her computer back. She doesn’t really use it for more than keeping up with her friends on MySpace, Facebook, and Instant Messaging, but occasionally she does use it for school. Besides, it was purchased a couple of years ago as a birthday present for her.



A couple of months after she got her computer and my mother moved in, my computer crashed and I tried to use my mother’s computer. It isn’t very powerful, fast, or good at doing multiple tasks. It was an exercise in frustration to use her computer. So I became the sole user of my daughter’s machine.


It’s been a good computer for me to use for getting ready to take the medical transcription course, research, and typing practice. But it’s time for me to get seriously involved in my studies and that means having a computer that is just for me to use.


When discussing the computer needs for medical transcription, I realized that there are going to be other necessities as well.



I need to get a keyboard that is designed for long term and high use. I decided on an ergonomic keyboard so that I can protect my hands, wrists and fingers. As much typing as this program and career entails it’s going to be necessary to be as kind to my digits as possible. I’ve tried changing keyboards several times since beginning this over the past month.



My old keyboard is large, clunky, loud and causes me to have to stretch my fingers and wrists very far in order to use. My mother’s keyboard is more compact and quiet and my fingers appreciate it much more than mine, but my hands and fingers are still stressed and occasionally painful, especially the left pinky finger and left palm muscle. I’m just grateful that my wrist isn’t complaining.



I know that part of the pain and discomfort is just using muscles and tendons that normally don’t do much, but it does bring home to me that finding a good keyboard that has easy key action and places the hands to a more natural position is going to be important in prolonging my career.


The other thing that I have been realizing is that I need to set up an office area in my home. This means a desk, supplies, chair, printer, and bookshelf.



The only space that I have that isn’t going to be constantly invaded, noisy, or generally distracting is a small corner of my bedroom. Unfortunately, this space is very tight and it’s going to be a challenge setting up all the necessary equipment, supplies, and resources within easy reach.



The solution for my home office is spreading everything up. (Fortunately, this won’t be an issue for more than a year or two as my daughter will be moving out as soon as she can. She’s already making noises in that direction. I don’t want her to go, but she has to make the final decision of when she’s ready to go).


It’s going to be interesting. Figuring out the logistics of studying and working out of my home when it’s been a very long time for me. My 20 year high school reunion was just last year. Not having studied significantly since then is going to come as a shock to my poor little system. I like having free time. But I like feeding myself and my family more.


No matter what I have to do, it’s going to get done. Whatever changes I need to make are going to be made. Right now, it’s all about the typing practice and learning general information, but soon it’s going to be intense study on subjects that I only know a little about or nothing at all. I just hope that I can meet my own expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment